Firefox Spellcheck for Programmers

No, it doesn't exist, but shouldn't it?  I've found that when I write prose in Firefox, I almost invariably ignore the redlines.  Why?  Too many false positives.  Technical prose, which is usually what I'm writing,  is littered with domain-specific terms that no spellchecker will ever consider valid.  Obviously you can help your specific spellchecker by adding words to the dictionary, but that can be a lot of work, and seems like it could easily be automated.  Why doesn't someone do this?

And no, this isn't a Firefox-specific issue.  But probably 85% of my prose is drafted in Firefox, and most of that remaining 15% is drafted somewhere that doesn't have redlining (iPhone, Outlook, etc.).

Comments are closed.