Back from Vacation

As you may have surmised, I've been on vacation, and a glorious vacation it was. As always with the Boisverts, good food was plentiful. Even with a significantly more active lifestyle than my usual state of existence, I'm sure I gained weight. But as nice as it is, it's always nice to come home and return to a bit more structured schedule. For a full account (with a pile of pictures), I'll point you to Heather's site: The Boisvert Life.

While I was out, I did manage to get a bit of work done on my app for visualizing the data from my Edge. Not as much as I'd hoped, but more than I'd expected. I've got the MotionBased packet importer all built, along with a couple cleanup routines, and all feeding a database. I also set up a new site, (check my way-hip missing 'e'!!!), to host the app. Currently there isn't much of interest, just a report from processing the import queue, but at least for me, having a home for an app all set up is a huge hurdle to cross. Infrastructure surrounding it is pretty sparse, just deploying as a SVN working copy, but it's adequate.

Still contemplating architecture for the app. Definitely going HTML instead of Flex now that a highly dynamic data entry interface isn't needed, though there will be a few Flex bits where appropriate (like charts). ColdSpring for sure. I'm debating between Fusebox 5.5 and my modified Fusebox 3 for the UI framework. I'm thinking that decision is actually a pretty minor one with the improvements in 5.5 that Sean has made, but I haven't dug in real deeply yet.

First task, which is of rather limited interest, is plotting cadence/speed curves to identify my relative gear ratios and more specifically, the overlap between my large and small chainrings. Most of my riding is pretty flat and I like having relatively large rings, but when I get into big climbs (like the friggin' cliff I went up Saturday) I need some lower gears. Pushing 45 rpm at 5 mph for 15 minutes sucks. So I want to quantify what I've got, and then extrapolate what effect different size rings would have. That's a relatively easy task, so I thought it's make a good first foray into actually using the data.

Comments are closed.